Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Explanations

For the first time in awhile I feel like I need to sit down and write out some thoughts, it's very strange!

So the plan is to move to Vancouver in a little over a year, which is both very scary, yet extremely exciting. As weird as it is, it has kind of given me a proverbial kick in the butt by speeding up some latent thoughts that I've had at the back of my mind over the past few months, mainly that I'm getting kind of bored with my job as it is and I need to work towards doing something I enjoy better.

Now, the next step would be much easier if I had any concrete ideas of the sort of job I want to end up in. I'm definitely drawn towards the creative end of things because despite my background in business (ha!) I'm clearly more rooted in the arts in my day to day life outside of work. The main issue of course is that, at least in my own opinion, I'm not a terribly 'artistic' person. I'm not a musician, I can't draw terribly well, I can't paint, and I don't think I could ever write a script or screenplay. This of course limits my options, which (I think) is a blessing in disguise. To start I think I need to work on getting familiar with graphic design again. I say again because many a moon ago (circa 2000ish?) I did use programs like Adobe Photoshop pretty regularly in conjunction with some web design/HTML stuff that I played around with in high school. Today at lunch I walked to the Millennium Library and took out a couple books with some general design principles, pretty obvious stuff for the most part, but more than anything I think I just need to get exposed to that 'world' a bit more again.

Taking some courses through RRC or somewhere else may happen in the future, but they're expensive and honestly I probably wouldn't learn a whole lot more than what I can figure out on my own with a little bit of guidance. What I really need to find is a good book that goes through a lot of the Photoshop features as well as a book so I can get back into using Illustrator. Any suggestions are definitely welcome.

I guess the ultimate question though is, where does this lead me? The answer is that I really don't know, it's just a step towards an imaginary job that I enjoy. With a one year limit before moving to Vancouver, I'd really like to get some more random skills under my belt to improve the chances of lucking into an awesome job when we get there.


No comments: