Friday, November 7, 2008

"You know who I blame? The Large Hadron Collider.  It is the world's largest and highest particle accelerator. You may remember we were warned that it could create a black hole and destroy the Earth. Consider this: it launched in mid-September, when John McCain was leading in the polls. I believe it jolted us into a parallel universe that was exactly like our own, only Barack Obama is president and the Phillies are world champions." 
---Stephen Colbert 

My new job has allowed me to read more blogs in the past week than I pretty much even did when I was still at Convergys yet I still manage to get a sizeable chunk of work done in a day.  It's certainly quite a change from working 'assembly line' style jobs (aka Convergys, GWL) to spending more than a day on a particular project, and certainly a welcome one.  Here's some of best of the blogosphere that I've been following in the past week.

With the US election there certainly hasn't been any shortage of stuff to read, be it Palin being thrown under the bus, McCain conceding and actually acting like not too bad an individual (his SNL appearance swung me to him comedically at least) or the crazy close races for senate/house.  In particular, the senate seat for Minnesota appears to be going to a run off/recount because the difference between Franken (he's good enough, he's smart enough...) and Coleman is less than 300 votes as of me posting this, which is frankly insane considering the number of votes is in the several million range. Looks like things are swinging towards Franken but I guess we will see in a bit!  Nothing is nerdier after an election than all the sweet statistics and maps that are presented in the media.  This link has some of my favourites that I've seen.

Slashfilm is very quickly becoming one of my favourite blogs (thanks Ashley) and the 2 podcasts they operate are frankly amazing, extremely nerdy, and yet incredibly hilarious.  Too bad they're reporting that there is talk of remaking Oldboy with Will Smith and Steven Spielberg........ ugh.

Speaking of new blogs I've been checking out, I've also fallen in love with Lifehacker (which I used to read occasionally) and moreso MAKE Magazine, which is getting me excited to actually start building something electronic/instrument-ish in the future at some point.  But it seems a lot of the time they also just post about awesome iphone apps, with the most amazing of course being:



Definitely some stuff I'm forgetting I'm sure, and I'll likely post more highlights from my blog reading sometime this weekend!

No comments: