Monday, October 20, 2008

I just watched this documentary about the world of zine making (particularly in Portland and the Pacific NW) and it kind of made me really annoyed.  I tend to hate anything with this much blind optimism and this was no different, and I'm shocked that I made it all the way through. While it does contain a lot of information about zines, it purposefully tries to distance itself from music based zines, and pretty much badmouths blogging and the internet in general as 'bad' or 'impure' or something along those lines.  I think zines were (and sometimes still are) an interesting medium, but I actually find that blogs generally have a much higher quality, are better written and are written by a MUCH larger variety of people providing differing viewpoints.  It does not shock me this documentary was made in 2003/4 at all haha.  The best part of this thing however was the scenes shot in Stumptown since they're so awesome.

In actual life happenings however, I finally got a job that uses my degree, an RA position doing marketing research which is both awesome career wise and awesome $$$ wise.  The first thing I really need to buy with some of that wealth is a good record player, because after spending thousands of dollars on records, I definitely need something worthy of playing them.
 
I also really need to get off my ass and find another couch, and some art for my walls since my living room is looking pretty bare on the one wall.

Record arrivals of the day:
Black Pus / Foot Village - Split [dnt] LP
Cheveu - My Answer Is... [rob's house] 7" 
Pink Reason - Borrowed Time [fashionable idiots] 7"
Pink Reason - Winona [woodsist] 7"
Tyvek - Sidewalk [m'lady's] 7"
Vivian Girls - I Can't Stay [in the red] 7"

Someone should buy me this sticker pack too:

1 comment:

aggiecore1984 said...

I think I need that stickerpack even more than you do. My apartment is ass, but at least I pay practically nothing, hah!